Airtel mobile lets you switch from your current service provider in just four easy steps. So why wait – get the best mobile network in the country, in practically a jiffy!
Gone are the days when you were forced to endure poor network and even poorer customer services from your mobile operator. With growing competition and providers aiming to capture more customers with better monthly plans and enhanced services, it is quite easy to choose the best mobile service provider.
If you wish to change your current service provider and choose a good one like Airtel, you can opt for mobile number portability.
Some prep is required for porting your number
Though you might feel that porting from one provider to another is just a matter of applying for the porting, there are a few steps you need to take to make the mobile number portability happen smoothly. This is what you have to do:
- Initiate the porting request with TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) and not your current service provider. Start by sending an SMS PORT <Your 10-digit mobile number> to 1900. 1900 is the TRAI-designated nodal porting number that is applicable for all mobile service providers in India. TRAI now registers your request for porting to another provider and issues you with a porting code.
- The TRAI porting code is a unique code that no other person will have. Do not delete the message containing the code till the porting process is complete in all respects – you will need to show it to the new mobile service provider.
- The porting request is forwarded to your existing mobile service provider. You can discuss the modalities of the porting process and initiate it formally. The current service provider will ask which provider you wish to opt for – choose a reputed company like Airtel for the best postpaid experience. Your provider will send you a porting application form – fill it out and send it back. The provider then forwards it to the new provider to complete the porting.
- The new provider gets in touch to complete the mobile number portability Follow the steps they outline, and your number is ported in under a week.
- If you deal with a reputed mobile provider like Airtel, you can initiate the porting online as well. However, you will still require the TRAI-generated porting code.
But before you make the switch…
Though the mobile number portability feature is mandatorily offered by all mobile service providers in India today, there are some facts that you should be aware of before you switch from your current provider to a new one:
- The TRAI mandates that the old service provider shall not charge any processing or porting fees to the customer. At the time of porting the connection, the customer will only pay the usage charges up to the day of disconnection.
- The new mobile service provider cannot charge more than Rs 19 for porting the connection. Leading providers like Airtel do not charge a processing fee for mobile number portability. You only need to pay for a new Airtel SIM card and choose a postpaid/prepaid plan.
- Mobile number portability is allowed for both postpaid and prepaid connections. However, you cannot port out of your existing circle. For example, you cannot port out of Delhi and choose Rajasthan. You must port within Delhi only.
- Mobile number portability is mandatorily done within the working hours of 10 am to 5 pm every day. If the provider you have ported to has given you a scheduled day for porting your number, then your phone number will remain inactive for about two hours on that day, before resuming services with the new provider. At this point, you can insert the new provider’s SIM card in your phone and start using it.