Let’s look at the ways IoT will gear up your mobile app development strategy.
IoT (Internet of Things) is emerging out to be a great tech breakthrough, besides Blockchain. The concept of connected devices altogether is ruling the minds of the users. But, will it impact the mobile app development world? Has it anything to do with the mobile market?
Let’s find out with an example. Suppose you left for your office and suddenly realize that you have forgotten to turn off the geyser. What will you do?
If I had asked this questions a few years back, the reply would have certainly been returning home, switching off the geyser and then leaving for office again. However, the situation has changed now. By a single tap on your mobile app, you can turn off your geyser (any connected machine/device) from anywhere and anytime. This is what the perfect blend of IoT and mobile applications will do.
So, as you might have understood from the above example, the IoT technology is turning towards the mobile applications to provide better-connected experience. The mobile apps shrouded in mobile devices can use sensors and provide numerous other engaging services to the targeted customers. It can be used to interact with smart gadgets, home appliances, and much more. In short, mobile apps can act as a bridge between the IoT connected devices and users.
Now, as you are familiar with the benefit of IoT in mobile app development, you must be wondering – is this the right time to invest in IoT development.
Is it the right time to be a part of IoT development industry?
To help you find this answer, I have jotted down a few statistics. Have a look at them.
- By 2020, there will be nearly 50 billion IoT connected devices with a tremendous growth of $19 trillion as profit from the investment.
- By 2025, the IoT market will hit $6.2 trillion, with maximum value from manufacturing and healthcare industry.
- 94% of the business leaders disclosed that they have already observed a return on their investment in IoT solutions.
- More than two-thirds of the end users are likely to purchase IoT devices for their homes by 2019.
As clearly depicted from these numbers, there is a great opportunity for businesses and developers to invest in IoT mobile app development. And with the pace the technology is evolving, I would recommend reaching the best IoT developers today itself.
But before you hire an IoT mobile application development company or make any plan regarding IoT, it is extremely important for you to be familiar with the challenges associated with IoT development and the factors to consider before jumping into the IoT market. So, with the same context, we will discuss the challenges related to developing an IoT app followed by the best tactics to make an IoT business strategy.
Here, we go.
Challenges in IoT Development – Is there any?
There are several obstacles in IoT app development, some of the popular ones are as follows:
- IoT Protocols: IoT solutions cannot be catered like the web/mobile apps since IoT protocols strictly have to generate smaller data overheads and be optimized for devices and networks. The consequence is business and technological limitations. So, keep these protocols into your consideration for ensuring better functionalities.
- Security: With millions of smart devices connected and sharing data in real-time, there’s a higher risk of data breach. So, it is of paramount importance for the IoT app developers and team to ponder upon the security aspect in a way that the data efficiency does not get affected.
- Privacy: With almost every device connected to one another in the IoT environment, it is required to establish some privacy rules and implement them. Otherwise, the personal and sensitive user data can reach into the wrong hands. This is again a challenge as the privacy considerations might clash with the personalization strategy.
- Data Flow: Since IoT generate a heap of data in real-time, you need to have enough infrastructure in terms of wireless carriers to handle the data efficiently. In other words, a huge infrastructure and maintenance cost is another IoT mobile app development challenge you will encounter with.
- Analytics: IoT solutions developed specifically for healthcare, enterprise, and other such industries will demand a continuous data flow and analyze in real-time. Since the IoT mechanism produces only a small portion of data at a time, matching up with the requirement is a challenge.
- Deployment: IoT connects a wide range of devices, wearables and a mobile app. For their proper functioning, a large number of algorithms and schemes are employed which turns the network into a complex mesh of algorithms and connections. This poses a considerable challenge to the app developers to make an application that works perfectly for these supported devices via the algorithms designed. In addition to this, they have to gather, process and support business requirements from the generated data by all the device. This is quite challenging.
So, how to deal with these challenges? Is leaving the idea to enter the IoT mobile application development world the only choice?
Ways to Optimize Your IoT App Development Strategy
Fortunately, there are various ways to optimize your IoT development process and leverage higher benefits, like:-
- Understand the technology inside out: The IoT technology has the potential to solve numerous issues – you just need to look into the matter. All you need is to change your perspective to building IoT solutions for generating higher ROI. In a nutshell, you need to know about the technology thoroughly.
- Consider an IoT ecosystem: When talking about IoT development, there are numerous elements like compatible hardware, third-party integrations, extensions, mobile apps, etc. Rather than debilitating all of your resources, invest in an IoT ecosystem and focus on what can be done for yielding top-quality IoT solutions at the end.
- Find a compatible technology: Besides cost and functionality, determining the right technology can also improve the speed of integration and enhance the efficiency of your IoT app.
IoT technology might be at its outset stage, it still holds the potential to revamp the mobile app industry. The technology, as discussed above, can bring massive changes in the mobile market. So, don’t overlook the opportunity. Regardless of the challenges and other issues, join the IoT app development world. This might seem a difficult decision but can pay you off a surprisingly high profit in the future.